Thursday, December 6, 2018

God's Detour, Part 1 - The Epiphany

Photo courtesy of "johnlindsay" of morguefile.com

"The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." - Proverbs 16:9

I've meant to post for a couple of weeks now but have been unable to sit at my computer due to a bad back injury. Timing is everything, and sometimes God sends us on a detour for reasons we can't always fathom. At least, not at first.

It started with an epiphany....

For the past couple of years, I've struggled with increasing frustration over the fact I can't concentrate to write like I used to. Too many interruptions and disruptions, and I was beginning to resent those who have been the cause of those distractions.

Also, I struggled under a heavy burden of doubt and grief. Maybe I'd just been kidding myself to think God wanted me to write. Then again, maybe not, but He'd removed that calling. Had I failed to do it to His specifications? Displeased Him somehow? On top of a LOT of unanswered prayers, was that further proof that He had gotten so disgusted with me for some reason that He'd abandoned me? That He no longer had use for me?

Yeah, I know. Satan had a real field day with me.

About 3 weeks ago, I was talking to one of my sisters about something totally unrelated (or so I thought) when something I'd said years ago to a couple of other writers came up. They had been lamenting the fact they couldn't find time to write because of the time- and energy-consuming demands of small children, in addition to having a husband and house to take care of. In one case, there was also a part-time job involved. I always have the same advice for writers in that situation, and it can be summed up as follows:

The writing will always be there. The children won't. They'll grow up and leave home. Enjoy them while you can, so you won't look back at these years with regret.

As I shared this with my sister, it suddenly clicked in my brain. (I'm slow sometimes, but I buy a clue eventually.) That advice applies just as much to my own life right now. Not because of small children or a job outside the home (the latter of which prevented me from writing for years). Family and friends matter just as much though.

Gotta love it when the Lord throws my own words back in my face, even years later.

I can't tell you how often over the years I've talked to someone who has lost someone they love and carry a heap of regret and sorrow over time they wish they'd spent with that person, things that were never said, and opportunities to spend time together passed over due to other things taking priority.

I don't want to be that person. I don't want to look back on this time in my life with regret because I made something more important than the people I care about.

I resolved that very moment for things to change. For my heart attitude to change. I pondered this quietly for a few days, praying about it, before sharing it with anyone else, wrapping my head and heart around all the implications and ramifications of this MAJOR (for me anyway) priority shift.

God has detoured me. He hasn't forgotten, dismissed, or abandoned me. He has simply revealed that He wants me to diverge onto a different path for now. Take the scenic route, if you will. Until it's time to return to the main road. What the purpose of it is remains to be seen, but it should be interesting.

The benefits of accepting that made themselves known almost instantly. Catch my next post to see how.

What about you? Has the Lord ever used your own words to direct you?

No comments:

Post a Comment